Welcome to FMRo Forum - Football Manager Romania

Welcome to the official forum of the Romanian Football Manager community.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of FMRo Forum - Football Manager Romania by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

If you don't want to create an account on our forum, you are free to join us on our other social media accounts:

- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FMRo.ro

- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fmromania

- Twitter: https://twitter.com/fmro

- Discord: https://discord.com/channels/703942749522755616/703942749992517655

- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fmro.ro/

- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgZCAQazHOyY_9nMspXLnvg

IMPORTANT: In order to complete your registration, a valid e-mail address is required, since we will be sending you there an activation link.

12 Tips For The Fm13 Match Engine

Mihai

Question

• MentholBoy

A Little Context

I know people tend to think I'm blindly defending the game, but my whole relationship with SI and FM started because I was feeling exactly the same way many of you are now about the FM06 ME. My first ever thread was entitled (something like) 'FM06: Deeply Flawed ME?'. In those days, I had no real understanding of football tactics. Like most of you, I'd played a bit and watched a bit, but hadn't ever really taken any time into understanding the fundamentals of football tactics. Simply a lurker, I'd followed forum dogma about what beat the ME. This had stopped working between FM05 and FM06. I didn't know what to do. Whatever I tried, the football looked horrible. I did OK at first, and then my team collapsed. I finished dead last in the BSP, something I've never done before or since.

Although I was frustrated to hell, I couldn't believe that SI would release an ME that didn't allow basic football formations to succeed. Consequently, I experimented with lots of different settings until I found something that worked on a consistent basis. I downloaded and tested all the so-called super tactics. All failed, either losing badly or producing horrible football. I then tried working out my own system. I must have played Maidenhead v Cambridge City 50+ times. Eventually, I worked out the logic that the ME was applying and began to win the match every time I played it. I then played through the whole season and did very well, winning and being happy with how I won. I then posted the findings and results on the forum and TT&F was born.

FM07 required a slight mindset change as mentality had become more sensitive. You could no longer play a system that was very stable in attack and defence at the same time (without exploiting the ME anyway). The result was designing a tighter mentality system, which has worked ever since. From that point on, I've never had to change my underlying logic (coherent mentality system + forward runs/run from deep pattern = solid tactical structure). From FM07 - FM13, this has run true. Since FM10 and the introduction of the TC, the AI teams have also used the same logic (albeit without the creative alternatives a user manager can try out).

Up until FM12, even these solidly logical tactics could be beaten by user tactics that took advantage of an ME flaw. The core one was the lack of collision detection, which meant that users could play a static target point lone FC formation (i.e. 4-2-3-1 with a poacher/target man) and channel balls through to him. Because he could run straight through defenders literally as if they weren't there, he could be guaranteed a certain number of chances every match in such a system. Get a good player in this position, a couple of good passers and keep your defence back, and Bob's your uncle.

Was this way of playing unbeatable? It tended to struggle when AI teams sat deep, because the lone forward then had to beat or was chased by lots of defenders, making his shots very difficult. Lots of users would experience the multiple shots, no goals, AI scores with its first shot scenario. This happened because, as FM13 reveals, players would get anxious, upset, angry or frustrated when chances weren't being put away, resulting in the greater likelihood of mistakes. The lower ranked AI team, happy at holding off a higher ranked side, would grow in confidence as well, making it more and more likely they'd score. However, users employing this kind of system still tended to do well against better teams, as their lone FC would get more space in which to operate.

However, these tactics should not work in reality. Although the AI couldn't counter them, we have actually proved that they wouldn't work against a decent human user. Just before the demise of FML, I guided a number of frustrated human users through the tactical logic required to stop these one dimensional tactics working (stop the supply, open spaces, counter into or attack them). Every one of these users succeeded. We now come to FM13.

The collision detection in FM13 means that the static lone forward being supplied by one-dimensional attacks won't succeed. He can no longer run through the defence. He has to go round DCs, who easily block him off and kill his space. 90% of the tactics we've seen posted in the tactics forum have been this type of tactic (with the other 10% being illogical atrocities). So, how to fix it? Please read on:

The Twelve Step Guide

1: Be prepared to admit you have a problem and need to change your approach. Until you do, nobody can help you.

2: Unless you are 100% sure you know what each and every slider does and how they interact, abandon them. Don't manually tweak a single setting. Embrace the TC (at least in the short term). Only use the playmaker and target man checkboxes to specify them and the TM's supply type (should you wish to).

3: Become aware that the strategy names are more plastic than they seem. The defensive strategy still attacks on the counter, whereas the attacking strategy can still be defensively solid. Bar the two extremes (Contain and Overload), each strategy is both defensive and attacking. A good rule of thumb is that if you want to play with a lot of deep midfielders and a short passing game, choose a less attacking strategy, whereas if you want to have high, effective wingers and a direct style, choose a more attacking strategy. Choose and save three core strategies for your trained tactics, but don't worry about the reserve ones or how well trained they are. Just focus on a specific style and use that as your base tactic in all matches until you are becoming more confident about your decision making.

4: Focus on roles and duties in the TC. Make sure you have one Attack duty in defence, one Attack and one Defend in midfield, and one Support in attack (especially if you have a lone FC). Make sure you have at least one no-nonsense, hard-working midfielder role. If you want to use a PM, will he be in the best position to hurt players, or will your approach see him isolated (see point eleven). More detail here.

5: Look at the team comparison page to determine how strong / weak your team is to the divisional average. Use the tactical adjustments to take advantage of / cover for this (e.g. if you have a very slow or lazy team, stand off more, whereas if they are quick and hard-working, press more)

6: Use the shouts to develop and save a favoured playing style, which should also suit your team strengths / weaknesses. For example, a highly technical team can sit deep and counter at pace, so using retain possession, pass into space, run at defence with a counter strategy may be worthwhile. A less technical but more physical team might want to impose themselves in a different way, so consider using get ball forwards, hit early crosses, get stuck in with an attack strategy.

7: Before each match, look at the weather conditions and the opposing team's formation to determine your match strategy. It can be very difficult to counter attack on a heavy, chewed up pitch, so you might have to abandon your preferred style and play an uglier game. You might want to expose an opponents lone wide player formation and exploit the flanks or look for overlap. You might be happy with your starting system.

8: Look at the opposing team formation or player condition / skills and use OIs to counter them. You could use OIs to counter dangerous players or stop crosses coming in, or to target unfit, slow or cowardly players.

9: Play the match. During the game, don't be afraid to change things up through shouts and strategies if things are not working. Do it logically rather than willy nilly though. For example, you might think that sitting deeper and countering will produce more chances than becoming more aggressive, as it will pull the opposition out a bit more. Once you've scored, decide whether you want to push for more goals or hang onto a lead and change things / keep things the same based on that decision.

10: Realise that teamtalks are contextual. They do not relate to the scoreline, rather how expected the scoreline is versus the quality / reputation of the opposition and the football you actually played. Sometimes you can be delighted at 0-0, at other times, if you've scraped a 2-0 lead with very few chances against a poor team, warning the team against complacency is required. React to what you think should have happened, not the scoreline.

11: Never stop learning. I recently worked out why my pass into space strategy wasn't working when I employed an attacking staretgy. Watching through the match after a dour 0-0, it became obvious to me that everyone was rushing so far forward, that my main deep creators were my BWM and FB/S. Not ideal. However, with a less aggressive strategy, my main deep creators were my AP and W/S, which was what I wanted. Hence, I abandoned the attacking strategy and played on the counter as a standard approach, changing my roles and shouts if I ever decided to play more aggressively (usually because of the weather / pitch conditions).

12: Finally, if you get stuck and frustrated, rather than posting in GD to complain, come to visit the tactics forum and explain your problem. As long as you are clear and detailed, then it is very unusual for us not to be able to help.

Good luck and play well. Remember, we are here to help. We all want you to enjoy FM13 as much as we are.

16 answers to this question

De acord cu nenea de mai sus. Am savurat toate versiunile de la CM 01/02 incoace. FM 2013 e o mizerie.

Trebuie sa avem rabdare pentru ca SI stie cum sa aduca jocul la parametri buni! Si mai stiu ca Fm e un joc de analiza.Trebuie vazut cum se muleaza tactica pe echipa,cum raspund jucatorii la ceasta tactica.Daca nu merg deposedarile prin alunecare acest lucru poate avea n cauze.Am observat ca toata lumea doreste sa joace agresiv chiar si cand antreneaza echipe modeste (care nu prea au mijloace adecvate de exprimare in defensiva si consider ca e normal cand ii impui unui fundas slab sa joace agresiv sa apara greseli mari).

Eu sunt de acord cu prima postare. Dupa ce am inceput sa joc FM 2013 eram tentat sa cred ca e o porcarie dar daca ai rabdare si reusesti sa-ti ajustezi intr-un mod logic tactica, jocul e chiar placut. Fireste ca mai sunt buguri dar cand n-au fost? Incet, incet vor fi si acelea rezolvate dar chiar si asa, FM2013 este jucabil.

Joc FM de aproximativ 8 ani si in fiecare an am dat bani pe joc fara sa regret un leu, pt ca de fiecare data am avut satisfactia de a juca un joc un pic mai bun decat precedentul. Dar FM13 este o mizerie care nu respecta deloc bunul simt. Tactica e mai mult degeaba, presing agresiv nu exista, fundasi extrem de statici, de fiecare data cel care are mingea este mai rapid decat cel fara minge..etc..

Nu exista dublaj, toate intrarile prin alunecare se transforma in fault etc.

Nu ma intereseaza daca este bug de grafica sau ME dar overall a disparut tot farmecul de a juca FM.

..da am incercat si 2D...

Am zis 2D, 3D n-am jucat de cand s-a "infiintat".Si oricum nu are legatura animatia in sine, cu pozitionarea jucatorului pana la urma.Si sa continui cu"si", nu am cum sa inchid ochii, am incercat, dar cand absolut toate golurile date/primite sunt EXACT aceleasi (through balls, atacantul scapa singur cu portarul, sut/dribleaza portarul gol - wingerii dribleaza tot pana la coltul scurt, dribleaza si portarul, dribleaza si bara, gol; wingerii alearga nestingheriti pana in corner, centrare NUMAI la coltul lung, sut-cap-gol), nu ai cum sa mai continui sa te pacalesti...

• Generaţia de Aur

Sa te astepti la reparatii :)

Dar eu totusi sper ca tu nu joci FM pentru animatiile 3D :D

Sigur, te ajuta cand abordezi tactic jocul, dar la genul de probleme tampe mai inchide si tu ochii pana la urmatorul patch.

Ce vede Ballack e un bug de grafica. Sunt convins ca in match report nu scrie nicaieri ca adversarul a venit lansat de la 7 metri si i-a furat aluia mingea din picior. Asta nu vor sa inteleaga toti astia care se plang ca e cel mai prost ME din istorie.

Si atunci la ce mai foloseste 2D-ul pe care il folosesc eu ? Daca animatia nu poate sa reproduca pozitia unor jucatori, atunci la ce sa ma mai astept in continuare ? La o intrare prin alunecare, care de fapt se traduce prin animatie intr-o lovitura de la 11m ?

• Generaţia de Aur

Ce vede Ballack e un bug de grafica. Sunt convins ca in match report nu scrie nicaieri ca adversarul a venit lansat de la 7 metri si i-a furat aluia mingea din picior. Asta nu vor sa inteleaga toti astia care se plang ca e cel mai prost ME din istorie.

Archived